CLEANING THE COLOSTOMY BAG

April 21, 2010

There are many ways of cleaning the colostomy bag but this is the method I have found most efficient. Hope this helps.

WHAT YOU NEED:
(1) 6 – 10 pcs Sticks – I use barbeque sticks, just remove the pointed end and wrap with cotton
(2) cottons – about the size of a ready made cotton ball
(3) small basin – I use kidney basin
(4) NSS or water – you may use distilled or boiled water. That’s what I used at first but later found out it’s ok to use tap water for cost reduction
(5) Folded tissue paper – for wiping

WHAT TO DO:

Note: Before you begin cleaning the bag, make sure baby is comfortably lying down.

(1) Drain the pouch using the basin
DRAIN THE POUCH

(2) Wipe with toilet tissue to avoid drippings on the surface
WIPE WITH TOILET TISSUE

(3) Wipe with stick and cotton
a. if stool is wet, no need to dip stick on water
b. if stool is dry, dip stick on water first then wipe
wipe

(4) Push the edge of the pouch, near the stoma to release the stool under the pouch.
Be careful not to hit the stoma when pushing.
push

(5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until satisfied with the cleanliness of the pouch
clean

(6) Press the bag to let the air out. Air inside the pouch will cause the bag to leak faster so make sure to let the air out.
press

(7) Fold the pouch
fold

(8) Lock the pouch
lock

(9) You’re DONE! Yipeee!!!
done

If there’s anything else I can help you with, just write in the comment portion and I’ll try my best to help you out. Suggestions from other colorectal parents are welcome :D

8 Comments

• Mommy Rubz says:

Oh my! While I was reading your post, I just imagine the time when you were doing this. Thank God MeiMei is now OK. :D

• Clarisse says:

Hi Maricar,

This is so helpful to other parents. I hope I get to meet more colorectal parents like you!

Thanks!

Clarisse

• admin says:

Mommy Rubz – yes, thank God gid… but you see, other moms go through harder times ‘cos they don’t have finances to buy the bag :(

Clarisse – i’m just as glad meeting you… let’s continue with what we’re doing, i’m sure if we work together, we can help more :)

• cindy Rojas says:

car, im so glad you are able to demonstrate step by step gd…na recall ko naman when i was still doing this to Anton every single day….you shud do dilation next:)

• admin says:

good idea Cinds! :) tricky but I’ll try… hihi

• joan says:

maricar,
    thanks for sharing.i’m a new a new mom and my 1month old son gone through colostomy last feb25.

• jared's mum says:

i only knew about this condition when i saw the post on your sister-in-law’s blog. this must’ve made parenting doubly harder. i am just glad to know that your little angel is now doing well…i salute you for helping other parents with children suffering with this condition, kudos!